As a pioneer knowledge Network in the Nile basin our mission is to contribute through our regional, multi-disciplinary and multi-stakeholder collaborative research in the basin to sustainable solutions for integrated water management, the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals and the Nilotic water & climate dialogue.
Our main goals are to complete and strengthen this knowledge Network in the Nile basin, to support its communities of practice (CoP’s), to build a sustainable knowledge base, to generate and implement joint research with tangible outputs, contributing directly to the generation of knowledge in water resources management and to co-create sustainable ways of collaboration, knowledge dissemination and knowledge networking in the basin.
The network contributes to the capacity building on the different level as below:
- To contribute at an international level to the realization of the Millennium Development Goals (MDG’s)
- To contribute at regional level to realize the development goals as formulated by the NBI in its Nile River Basin Strategic Action Program:
- To contribute at national level to meet the capacity building needs as indicated in the national water policies/plans in the Nile basin countries
The main network objectives on the basin wide are to:
- Build awareness for the role of capacity building in improving the water resources management and development in the basin.
- Complete the NBCBN-RE network to cover the whole Nile basin countries.
- Support inter-basin exchange among water professionals.
- Enhance co-operative human and institutional capacity building activities at regional level.
- Stimulate the integration of the different Capacity Building components: Education, Training and Applied Research.
- Improve the accessibility to education and training in River Engineering in the region.
- Enhance the research capacity in the Nile basin.
- Use the concepts and potential of Knowledge Networks and Communities of Practice for knowledge creation and innovation in the Nile region.
- Stimulate the involvement of experts in demand-driven, regional, multi-disciplinary and collaborative R&D activities.
- Enhance communication between experts and institutes in the region and make maximum use of existing capacities in the field of River and Hydraulic Engineering.
- Link up with related international, regional and national networks and programmes to stimulate regional co-operation.
- Set up a regional information centre and database that can be easily accessed by all users of the network.
- To contribute to the development of the NileNet as the overall regional platform of NBI for disseminating data and information among professionals and as the main meeting place of all collaborative research activities work
- Disseminate the Lessons Learned and experiences with the NBCBN network to other water-related domain fields and deliver advice and services to develop new network start-up initiatives.